Accent Reduction and Communication Skills Training
Attitudes Are Contagious: Are Yours Worth Catching?
I came across a quote by a couple named Dennis and Wendy Mannering that seemed to say it all in the perfect way about attitudes: “Attitudes are contagious: Are yours worth catching?
Researchers have shown that having a positive attitude can have such a great impact on our lives that they can even extend our lives! So, the opposite then, must also be true: a negative attitude can have a devastating affect on the quality of our lives. That means that our attitudes really do make a difference in our lives.
Let’s stay away from negative attitudes and focus on how we can incorporate a positive attitude into our lives.|
1. We may not be able to change the things that happen to us, but we can change how we react to them. Truer words were never spoken! No one and nothing can make us feel bad, negative, sad, happy, or unhappy. In whatever situation we find ourselves, it is up to us to decide how we are going to deal with it.
In bad situations, lots of people say things like, “you make me feel so bad about myself.” Remember that it is not someone else that is making us feel bad, it is how we choose to feel!
Believe in yourself as a good person and stay positive. Do not let others influence you how you feel about yourself or your situation. Try to find something positive in everything you do.
2. Avoid hanging around with negative people. One of the best things we can do for ourselves is to surround ourselves with positive people. Spend time with people who laugh, have fun, and leave you smiling. Spending time with people who talk badly about others, are always complaining about something, and never have anything nice to say, may make you act just like them. It’s easy to get caught up in what surrounds us!
3. Make a list of three things would like to achieve. These things can be anything: work goals, personal goals, financial, etc. Imagine your future with you achieving each of these goals. Keep picturing these things happening to you and then plan out how you are going to make them happen. Work toward your goal and stay positive about them! The more positive you are, the more of a chance you will have of them happening. You have the power to do whatever you set your mind to!
4. Smile! Smiles are contagious! Have you ever walked along the street and just smiled a little bit at strangers that you pass by? Most of them will smile back. Maybe they will keep that smile on their face just long enough to look at someone else and make them smile. The next thing you know, your positive attitude has once again become contagious!
5. Random acts of kindness will let you feel good about yourself, as well as put a smile on someone else’s face! Have you ever held a door for an elderly person? Have you ever picked up something for someone? Believe it or not, these little random acts of kindness will be appreciated more than you could ever imagine. Not only that, but they will help you feel more positive about yourself. Helping others is just one small way to make your positive attitude contagious!
6. Be positive about yourself when you speak to others. Act positive, think positive, feel positive, and watch good things happen to you! The more positive you are, the more positive others around you will be…this leads to positive outcomes in just about everything we want to accomplish in our lives.
Each of us has the power to be positive and to make good things happen to us. The old saying, “attitude is everything” really is true. Life goes on no matter what our attitude is, so choose to have a positive attitude and let the world be yours!